Repress Yourself

Tired of paying hundreds of dollars in therapy? Fed up with prescription pill addictions and office furniture couch-sores? Has your psychologist stopped seeing you since you made a pass at him? Or maybe you're an amateur analyst and are looking for a chance to gain experience as an advice columnist. Bloggers: substitute these posts for therapy sessions and readers: comment away.

02 May 2005

entropy

I live with six other people, so our house can quickly fill with stuff, and our refrigerators and cabinets especially require constant vigilance. My constant vigilance.

crazy lady combining syrupsWhile I am obsessed with moving things out the door, no one else seems particularly concerned with the flow of things into and out of the kitchen. It doesn't seem to bother my roommates if an empty cereal box sits on a shelf, taking up space. Or if there are six jars in the fridge with a half inch of salsa in each.

Luckily, I love throwing things away! In fact, I cannot stop throwing things away. Lately I've caught myself finishing someone's orange juice or mayonnaise or bread, just for the pleasure of subtracting one container from the premises. I also like to combine things, as I did this afternoon, when I made two pancake syrups into one. Sometimes I'll throw something away just because it's bothering me. Like a stray salad dressing that's overstayed its welcome.

I work in secret, because my roommates might not understand or appreciate my methods. But, I've come to think of myself as the Good Trash Fairy, performing necessary maintenance for the greater good.

6 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger kittenpants said...

I live with a vegan/freegan/dumpsterdiving activist recyclaholic. I feel guilty if I throw away the crusts of my toast. I am jealous of your ability to condense and toss. I haven't seen the back of my pantry in over a year.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for confessing this. I also love using up the last of anything and recycling the container, whenever possible. That is why I have a dozen empty tea tins on a high shelf in the garage.

UB

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should be roomie's JM. We'd live in an empty house.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Jenny Miller said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Jenny Miller said...

Mine is the opposite of Photo Confession.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Claire said...

I don't really have a comment on this post, except that MY neurosis is that I think I love JM too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home