Repress Yourself

Tired of paying hundreds of dollars in therapy? Fed up with prescription pill addictions and office furniture couch-sores? Has your psychologist stopped seeing you since you made a pass at him? Or maybe you're an amateur analyst and are looking for a chance to gain experience as an advice columnist. Bloggers: substitute these posts for therapy sessions and readers: comment away.

21 November 2005

these foolish things

It's weird how memories work.

You know how you have specific memories tied to events and songs and things that don't make sense?

When I was in high school I lived at a lake and one day I was driving around with a friend of mine and we were singing along with the radio to Dude Looks Like a Lady. It only happened once. It's not like that was a favorite song - it was just a random event.

Then I was in Texas a few weeks ago and went to the lake where I used to live. And I was in the car, and we turned a corner and I saw this one house that that I've driven by a million times, including the one time that I was randomly singing Aerosmith with my friend one day a hundred years ago. And as we drove by, I immediately started singing Dude Looks Like A Lady in my head. Because of the one random time that that happened 15 years ago.

It seems my memory of a house I've driven by a million times is forever tied to a random, and not even significant event that occurred once. And no one, not even my friend who was in the car singing along, would understand why.

Last night I saw Steve Martin playing banjo on TV and I started crying because it made me think of my dad who just died. Because the first time I ever watched SNL I was 4 and Steve Martin was hosting and my dad was excited to see it, and he told my brother and I all about Steve Martin and how funny he was. And he let us stay up late to watch it. And Steve Martin played the banjo. And we watched SNL every week after that. And so now when I think of Steve Martin playing banjo, I remember my dad letting me stay up late to watch him on TV. And I started crying.

Then I started laughing because I'm retarded.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger G.Wo said...

Every time I hear the song "Black" by Pearl Jam, I'm immediately drawn to a memory of driving down the road to the house that I grew up in. And every time I drive down that road, I hear "Black" in my head. It's a vicious cycle and I don't think it's ever going to end, but it's nice that we can attach these things to such memories because it makes us think about things that we ordinarily put away in the back of our minds. I don't think there's anything bad about that at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home