Repress Yourself

Tired of paying hundreds of dollars in therapy? Fed up with prescription pill addictions and office furniture couch-sores? Has your psychologist stopped seeing you since you made a pass at him? Or maybe you're an amateur analyst and are looking for a chance to gain experience as an advice columnist. Bloggers: substitute these posts for therapy sessions and readers: comment away.

25 March 2005

Is This How We Do It? AKA The Hermit-age

OK so here is one. I've been working from home for the last week, which is fucking awesome (I can swear here because I can't swear anywhere else.)

The problem is, though, is that I'm getting gradually stir crazy. Watching TV and eating Cadbury Mini-Eggs gets less entertaining day by day, to the point where I feel gross and sad instead of comfy and smug.

But the more displeased I feel, the less I want to go outside. I'm supposed to see a friend today, go to a party and interview someone and I just secretly want to stay inside with Netflix even though I know I'll feel like a human puddle. Is my apartment a black hole? Is that the problem? Or am I just really my own abusive best friend? There is no way that I actually want to leave my cute apartment in the sky for a windowless office again, is there?

6 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Your apartment is like the womb. You won't be able to leave until your mom comes over a physically pushes you out for about 12 hours. Either that or you're gay.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger kittenpants said...

I find that if my apartment is clean, I don't want to leave, either. But if it is filthy, I can't wait to get out - I find things to do to keep me from having to stay home and clean.

But my mom's womb was really cluttered, so I guess maybe that means something?

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger dog food sugar said...

This is what coffee houses, bookstores and fancy shops are for. Take an hour or two and reconnect with the modern consumer inside. It's good for you and your country. Chat it up with the service industry so you can experience polite human interaction without much personal commitment. Then reward yourself for getting out for just a little bit with that date with Netflix and your couch. You'll be feeling comfy and properly smug again in no time! You're apartment isn't a black hole but rather in need of a little balance from the outside.

Good luck!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger kittenpants said...

Working from home seems awesome, but if it's a permanent situation, you need to declare some office space for yourself, to help draw the line between hanging out and working. And definiely leave the house during the day - see that there are still other people in the world and that life exists ouside your cave.

The best setup is to be able to wear your pajamas to the office. Then its like working, but its like being at home.

Sometimes chocolate and peanut butter are better left alone.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Well the sad thing is that I have to return to the office soon so I know this will all end and I'll miss these lonely days. But I did go out with a friend, Kate, to lunch, so I made it! I made it to the outside world! And it was cold.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Jenny Miller said...

Your problem is Catholic guilt. Guilt about how lucky you are to be in your cute apartment in the sky, while drones like me toil in windowless basements. I predict you'll go outside when the weather's better. Right now, stay in. It sucks out here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home